Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Way: Lessons From a Sparrow



When I opened the screen door to go in, I heard a noise and realized a bird had somehow become trapped within the front porch.

I had taken my dog Bo for a walk and in returning I  found this scared creature fluttering around from screen to screen, here to there, trying to find a way out.

I quickly got the dog in the house and closed the door. The bird began to hop around on the floor, hiding coyly behind the wicker furniture. When I moved about it would begin sprinting from screen to screen. 

I pushed the screen door open holding it, hoping the bird would fly out, but it wouldn't. Why not?

Knowing I couldn't stand there indefinitely, I grabbed a chair and fixed the lock at the top of the screen so it would stay open and the little bird could fly out when it got ready. 

I no longer had done it and turned my back, when I heard a movement behind me and then a "whoosh" - out it went. 

I'm not sure how it got in, unless it flew in just as we were going out. 

This evening as I was resting, I noticed a small book beside my chair. It had a robin on the cover tending her nest and eggs, and was titled "In The Shelter of His Wings: Resting in God's Tender Care. It is a small compilation of inspirational quotes and stories. 

I took the book and it fell open to a page with a sparrow on it. It was the exact color and shape of the bird on my porch. Was this an odd coincidence, or was there perhaps a message lying within? 



Below the drawing was this quote:

"God has ventured all in Jesus Christ to save us, now He wants us to venture our all in abandoned confidence in Him." ~ Oswald Chambers

On the facing side were these last words from Jesus himself:

"I am leaving you with a gift ~~ peace of mind and heart!

And the peace I give isn't fragile like the world gives. 

So don't be troubled or afraid." ~ John -4:27 (NLT)

I began to wonder why the bird wouldn't fly out while I had the door wide open. I suppose it was afraid of me. And I'm sure it knew my dog was just inside. It had reason to be afraid. 

It must have been the wind. 

There was a small breeze blowing, and that's what birds know a lot about. They depend on the wind to move them from place to place. There are built for it. 

I believe that when I opened the door with no hindrances, it wasn't that the bird could go out, but that the wind could come in. What I could not see, the sparrow knew all too well, and just as soon as it felt the wind, it flew out. 

Isn't it amazing what nature can teach us? In just a few moments of time I learned a lesson from a sweet little bird. 

Sometimes the world gets too big for me and I'm afraid too. 

Today, I was reminded that I know the One who knows the way, and he says that I am worth much more than many sparrows. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home